Monday, September 26, 2011

AT THE ROOT OF WHAT MATTERS

By Edwin Cooney

Approximately ten days ago, my world was shaken with the news that President Obama’s job approval rating here in the state of California had dropped to 49%. I’ve observed the shifting forces of American political and social life enough to know that a month can be an eternity in romance and politics. Thus there was really little to worry about. Still, it mattered so much to me that I let it ruin my day.

Part of the reason it mattered so much was because I was reading and enjoying Jonathan Alter’s compelling book “The Promise,” an analysis of President Obama’s first year in office. The book is helpfully objective, giving the reader the full scope of what worked and what didn’t. The reader gets a look into the president’s personality and how he put together and worked with his administration. It was very enlightening with reasons rather than excuses for the outcome of events. I felt closer to understanding who he is and where he was taking the country and, while I buy most of it, I don’t buy it all. Suddenly, I had to face the reality of widespread displeasure with the president for whom I have considerable admiration and respect. This bump in the road or whatever it is has made me wonder:

Aside from the welfare of family and friends, my personal physical and emotional well-being and that of my country, what makes things matter? Is there a single factor or are there numerous reasons why I ponder, hope, and wonder why things matter?

Some things matter peripherally such as whether the New York Yankees or the San Jose Sharks (my favorite MLB baseball and NHL hockey teams) win, whether a friend cancels lunch once or twice, even whether or not my youngest son, who lives nearby, predictably contacts me. (After all, he has his own life to live.) All of these things have a way of balancing out thus providing me with a sufficient combination of gratification and a dab of uncertainty to keep me humble.

The question remains, however: what makes what matters most matter?

Of course, there’s interest and identification with family, country or religion, but there’s also a deeper factor. As I ponder the above question, one of the factors most common to most of us is the need to correctly assess the future.

Throughout our lives all of us have experienced all kinds of feelings. Different types of stories and the experiences of others have an effect on us. Some of us have a strong sense of spiritual, political or patriotic duty. Others possess a strong sense of justice. Many are energized by doing what we can to ensure the well-being of those we consider less fortunate than ourselves.

Of course, there are a lot of things which are vitally important that I deliberately let other people worry about. I am neither an economist nor an environmentalist. I don’t study geology to prevent earth quakes. I am not a doctor or a fireman. As for politics and matters of spirituality, I have a perspective on both. I’m always willing to share and even debate the significance of my perspectives, but I fully realize that I have no monopoly on either patriotism or wisdom.

Most of us exalt in joy for the good fortunes of those we love or who give us strength or optimism about the future. Most of us want the future to be compatible with what we hope and even believe it ought to be. Therefore, it matters when someone whom we believe can affect that future for the best seems to be in danger, political or otherwise.

Out of our hunger for gratification we seek partners along the way who may reinforce the numerous positive outcomes for which we strive and hope. What matters most to you and to me are likely to be as different as our individualities!

Once upon a time there was a man in Washington called “Harry the Hop.” His full name was Harry Lloyd Hopkins. His value to FDR during the Depression and to FDR and Churchill during the war was his ability to get to the heart of any question. Churchill came to call him “Lord Root of the Matter.”

For example, as head of the Works Progress Administration, he was advised that if he would just stop pressing for government work programs for the unemployed, the economy would pick up in the long run. His response was “people don’t eat in the long run. They eat every day.”

Whatever importance or priority you give to your politics or to your religion, who you are has more to do with their significance than their original value or validity.

Hence, it’s my guess that were I to ask “Lord Root of the Matter” what lies at the heart of all that matters, his answer would be simple and true—me and you.

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: