Monday, June 25, 2012

OPINION: EASIER THAN THOUGHT, BUT ONLY MARGINALLY IMPORTANT

By Edwin Cooney


Strange as it may seem to those readers who’ve known me over the years, I’m often urged by some readers to be more definite in many of these writings as to what my opinion is on a topic that I’ve just used several hundred words to describe and analyze.

Throughout my life, I’ve often been seen as dogmatic, argumentative and, most certainly, opinionated.  Back in my “salad days,” I used to grant that my opponents were entitled to their own “stupid” opinions -- mine, of course, always being well thought out and right!  For my own good and for everyone else's peace, age has definitely mellowed me.

I’d be surprised if many of you have much doubt as to which political party or presidential candidate I support, or how I feel about capital punishment.  However, my elderly wisdom has taught me that the ultimate value to others of what I think or feel about any topic I write on is dependant on my capacity to rationally present and support it.

Subsequently, last Monday when I asked the question "does war have real merit if Congress declares it," I saw it as my task to provide information on the War of 1812 and its outcome, leaving it to you to decide the merit and wisdom of Congress’s action in its declaration.

One reader asserted, in reply to last week’s column, that because the Constitution requires Congress to declare war, it’s unlawful to declare war any other way.  That particular reader appears to believe that the law, in most if not all cases, must prevail.  Of course, whether or not I agree with that point of view -- and I don’t entirely buy it -- that view has a healthy dose of merit behind it.  Still, there are other factors that our “Founding Fathers” were incapable of taking into account when making that constitutional requirement.  For all their wisdom and foresight, eighteenth century wise men could not have been expected to comprehend and take into account the perils of twentieth and twenty-first century warfare.

My opinion matters to my friends and sometimes even to my lads, but its merit depends on the listener's or reader's evaluation of its wisdom or applicability.

Okay, here I go out on a nice, flimsy limb, opinion-waving from aloft.  Since I was very young, I’ve always been taught that I’m a sinner, that Christ gave His life to save me from sin.  Lately, however, I’ve come to a new conclusion.  I no longer believe in sin.  I believe that Christ lived to energize you and me to serve others with love and tolerance.  I no longer believe that Christ was born to die.  Now, that opinion won’t and shouldn’t resonate with you if you apply your spiritual principles according to scripture.  Still, I’ve just offered you that opinion.  If my opinion dovetails with your own, the chances are that you might not only find agreement or comfort in it, but also perhaps some wisdom.  If you see my opinion as being defiant of scripture you may well be offended by it.  If you’re an atheist or an agnostic, it’s likely you’ll find that opinion irrelevant.  Furthermore, that opinion probably hasn’t done much more than increase your knowledge of how my mind works.

It’s also my opinion that President Barack Obama ought to be re-elected in November.  Now, I could do a nice comparative analysis of Barack Obama’s first term record in comparison with the first term records of other presidents who have been re-elected and make a pretty good case for my position.  However, if you have a solid ideological mindset that’s different from mine, you can make a case for the opposition.  As for facts, compelling as they are, facts depend on circumstances and context and are vulnerable to other facts that have not been presented -- or selective logic.

It’s my opinion that one of the reasons political discourse in America has deteriorated in recent years is because Republicans, Conservatives, Democrats and Liberals see most differences as moral rather than as merely practical or politically strategic in nature.  Once again, too often opinion invariably stifles rather than stimulates thought. 

Even more, opinion by itself only reinforces those already convinced.  Thoughtful analysis and presentation is usually a more, if imperfect, path to a new mindset, especially when it takes into consideration elements of its counter-argument.  Of course, the greatest challenge to someone whose task is to persuade you or me is our embedded convictions.  I’ve always liked the observation that “truth may set you free, but first it’ll make you mad.”

Whoops, I almost forgot I didn’t offer an opinion in last week’s column.  So, here it is: the War of 1812, although dutifully declared by Congress, wasn’t any more necessary than almost any other war.   Even more tragic, those necessary wars were invariably the ultimate price of previously unnecessary wars -- declared or undeclared.

Here’s another opinion for you.  Stop by and see me and I’ll buy you a drink or even lunch.  Either will probably be more valuable to you than any opinion I might offer!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: