Monday, January 13, 2014

AH NUTS, I DID IT AGAIN!!!

By Edwin Cooney


This should be column number 367 and you should have received it last week.  However, the truth of the matter is that I’m late with it.

Lateness has been a bugaboo of mine since I was in the fifth grade back in the spring of 1957.  One day in late March or early April, I’ve forgotten exactly which, I walked into Mrs. Hilken’s class as the last tinkles of the school bell rang. Down to the principal’s office I was sent for being late.  Of course, Mr. Brayer, our principal, asked me why I’d been sent down and when I told him, he told me to come back after school and he’d talk to me.  He apparently forgot, because as I was reporting to his office he was leaving for home.  He asked me to come back the following week, which would have been exactly the following Tuesday.  I guess he knew he was going to be away – thus the seven-day wait for my scolding or for maybe even the fictional (but still infamous) rubber hose.  As it turned out, I escaped both the scolding and rubber hose as Mr. Brayer died before the following Tuesday could arrive.

Now, I told you all of that to tell you this.  Two weeks ago I sent out my 366th column.  That means this week’s topic should have been last week’s.  That means I’m late again -- thus the above story.

In addition to lateness, I also suffer from sentimentality, which means that I’m a sucker for such things as clean slates and milestones whether significant or trivial!  There are, of course, 365 days in most years and 366 days in every fourth year according to the 500 year old Gregorian calendar, which means that you could read one of my columns, were you so inclined, every day for a solid year.  Were you to do that and it took you, say, two minutes to read each column, you’d spend a total of 732 minutes with me, which is a total of twelve hours and twelve minutes reading all those columns. Wow!  Isn’t that impressive?

While I’m patting myself on the back (I’ve got to be careful not to break my arm!), I should tell you that after writing 100 columns, Edwin Cooney was interviewed by his alter ego Ed Cooney for column number 101.  That was back on June 30th, 2008.  For some odd reason, I forgot about column number 200 or 201 and by column number 250 (not waiting for column 251, mind you), Little Eddie, the little kid of my alter ego, interviewed me.  That was back on August 22nd, 2011.  I forgot number 300, but here I am celebrating number 366 a week late – thus the self-reprimand as the title of this column.

The origin of all this is self-examination.  Late last week I was suffering a bit of writer’s block so I asked myself why I even do this.  Of course, the three goals I give – to inform, to stimulate thought and to entertain – came to mind, but I then probed even deeper into my own psyche.  One of my best friends and most careful readers insists that I write primarily to show off.  He insists that I like to show how much I know about history or baseball or current events.  We joke about it and he says he “forgives me” because he loves me –- as I do him – and anyway, he insists, why else would I write, since I’m not being paid?  (My friend prides himself on being a realist while I insist he’s merely being cynical!)

I think I write for deeper reasons than what might be termed male or even intellectual “show and tell” -- or even worse, chauvinism.  I believe I write for the same reason I enjoy engaging others in conversation or even debate.  In order to be really valuable, knowledge or perspective has to be shared.  Even one’s thoughts aren’t fully alive unless they are shared with others.

Here is a brief list of thoughts I have shared with many of you since June 2005 when I wrote my first column.

First, near the beginning, I shared the late CBS commentator Eric Severeid’s observation about “the special strength of the shameless” in international relations.

Soon thereafter, I shared with you my conclusion that there’s no such thing as “common sense” (meaning a sense common to all). I insisted, and still do, that there is such a thing as “good sense.”  (I also insisted then as I still do that the phrase “common sense” is merely an emotional and intellectual control mechanism.)

A little later, I expounded on the mere vengefulness rather than the justice or morality of capital punishment.

Shortly thereafter, I shared with you preacher Roy Ratcliff’s encounter and experience with the serial killer and even cannibalistic Jeffrey Dahmer as described in Ratcliff’s book entitled “Dark Journey Deep Grace.”

Topics such as history, biography, and significant aspects of current events have been subjects on which I’ve offered my perspective and position.  I’m incapable of keeping either concerns or satisfactions strictly to myself; otherwise they would be too empty to be of much use or gratification. Whether the topic is Clement Moore’s “Twas the night before Christmas” or the story of the late Jerry Ford’s luncheon meeting with his real father, the fact is that I’m incapable of keeping my appreciation of significant historic or human events strictly to myself.

Here’s the unvarnished truth.  Although I’ve yet to make my first penny as a writer, nevertheless I’ll keep writing, because it alleviates a feeling of isolation that comes over me in the absence of the thoughts, feelings and ideas of you who so generously respond to these almost weekly musings.

Next Monday, January 20th, 2014 looms just ahead on the calendar.  The sun will rise and there in your inbox will be another Cooney’s Corner column.

I wonder if it’ll be late!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: