Monday, April 7, 2014

ME NEITHER – ME TOO!!!

By Edwin Cooney

So, you don’t like Vladimir Putin – me, neither!  After all, what’s there to like about him?  Didn’t he used to work for the KGB (or if you prefer the Soviet Secret Police)?  Of course, he was little more than a paper pusher, but it’s still on his resume. 

However, come to think of it, it didn’t put off Boris Yeltsin. Every freedom-loving American conservative politician has praised Yeltsin to the skies, but we still hold Putin’s KBG experience against him even if Yeltsin didn’t.

Going further with this brief analysis of Putin, he’s a rather extreme Russian nationalist, so he has to be evil, doesn’t he?  After all, we Americans despise extreme nationalists -- unless they are named Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, Barry Goldwater or maybe Sarah Palin.  We even pray that God will be an extreme American nationalist especially as we ask God to bless America – and comparatively screw all those foreigners who inhabit the rest of God’s creation!  Who the hell does Putin think he is bullying Ukraine or Crimea around like that? You don’t think we’d be that sensitive about Mexico or Canada if they ever exercised their sovereign prerogative and chose to ally themselves with Putin, would we?  (Fortunately, we wouldn’t have to worry about Canada too much since Mrs. Palin, living in Alaska as she does, could keep an eye on both Canada and Russia for us -- if we could get her to stay home!) Still, I’m with you: I really don’t like what I’ve read about Putin except that he’s apparently very fond of his dogs.

Since the late 1950s, I’ve taken positions on politicians left and right, foreign and domestic.  I’ve actually changed my mind both ways on politicians.  I once loved Richard Nixon and liked Ronald Reagan.  Today, although I’m prepared to give credit to both men for the positives in their service to the nation, neither man draws much in the way of admiration or indeed affection from me. No, it isn’t because they were “conservative.” Barry Goldwater’s absolute devotion to standards of equity in judgment evokes my admiration and even affection.

I’ve had a change of heart about Lyndon Johnson for his sense of racial justice in his later life and for Hubert Humphrey for his openness and his principles. I admire men (I’m thinking of former Defense Secretary Robert Gates and current Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel) whose patriotism requires them to serve presidents of both political parties.

What I’m getting at here is the realization of how shallow my own conclusions have been on so many occasions.  When I think, for example, of the great men I’ve not admired I feel just a little sheepish because, as strongly as I’ve opposed much of their thinking and agenda, I can admire some of what they’ve brought to the national table.  In that group I include Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Jack Kemp, Bob Dole, Paul Harvey, Milton Friedman and, yes, although it gags me to write it, even Newt Gingrich. (Note: although the jury is still out on Rand Paul, as far as I’m concerned he may be an additional someone to at least grudgingly admire.)

When I was growing up, the list of people to be admired included Billy Graham, President Eisenhower, J. Edgar Hoover, Queen Elizabeth II, Dr. Jonas Salk, Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra, Jackie Robinson, and the original seven astronauts.  (Note: Chiang Kai-shek and of course Winston Churchill topped even the Queen on the international list of those to be revered.)

So, the questions are obvious, aren’t they?  You and I readily know whom we admire, but do we admire or despise perfectly?  The answer to that is "of course not."

Who might you admire, if only you’d allow yourself to do so?  What brings forth your capacity for admiration other than intellectual or emotional reinforcement of your own values and conclusions?  Don’t the most admirable among us have glaring weaknesses?  Are there aspects of those you least admire that are worthy of respect?

My admiration for Presidents Carter and Obama is pretty strong, but I do have some quarrels with both men.

Jimmy Carter with all his admirable insights and deeds was too self-contained for either his own good or the good of the country.  His near contempt for other politicians was arrogant, silly, and ultimately politically self-destructive.

Barack Obama’s aloofness and avoidance of confrontation aided him when he ran for president. It allowed him to avoid the “angry black man” label, but I fear it has gotten in his way when it comes to consensus building on matters of vital public policies such as health care and economic stimulus.  I also have serious reservations about the ultimate wisdom of his capture and murder of Osama bin Laden.  The capacity to commit international homicide via drone may turn out to be a serious breach of human rights and, sadly, as much as I’d like to, I can’t blame Reagan, either Bush, or even Rush Limbaugh for it!

When we’re young we have a tendency to admire or reject the actions of domestic and foreign leaders by the responses our parents, peers and teachers demonstrate for them.  As time goes on, however, our personal moods and fears take over.  Over the years, our perceptions are invariably altered for better or worse based on a lifetime of experiencing the rigors of a changing world.

My understanding of history tells me that the world will never be as it was when I became acquainted with it.  Ultimately, the world as it will be in the future won’t be my world and it shouldn’t be.  Those born into the America of 2064 or 2114 will live in a world of their own.  It will be a world beyond our judgment and what’s more…

Happily, it will be absolutely none of our business!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: