Monday, February 20, 2017

AFFECTION FOR AND CONNECTION WITH THE PRESIDENCY - ARE THEY RELICS OF THE PAST?

By Edwin Cooney

Over the years it seems that these pages are loaded with my personal confessions, so I guess one more confession won’t hurt!  I’m as much a romantic as I am an academician.  I have a tendency to fall in love with an odd mixture of people and institutions.

Among my favorite people are such personages as: Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Jimmy Carter, Billy Martin, Elvis Presley, and even Aaron Burr.  Among my favorite institutions are professional baseball, politicians of varying types and ideologies, and of course the presidency of the United States.  I even once confessed to a clergyman friend of mine that perhaps the United States presidency was, unconsciously, my idol.  (He agreed with that and offered to pray for me.)  My feeling about the presidency is equivalent to Winston Churchill’s love for the British Empire and the English monarchy.

I’ve been increasingly concerned about the health of the institution of the presidency since the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  It seems to me that Americans did wake up on the morning of Saturday, November 23, 1963 stripped of their innocence.  Take this additional confession as you must, but I’m a full-throated innocent.  I love to empathize and even admire some political and social rogues, although I do have my limits.  In other words, I’m no fan of George Zimmerman or David Duke, but I do find Aaron Burr and even Spiro Agnew intriguing.  In addition, I’m fascinated with John Adams’ decision to defend the British soldiers who participated in the March 1770 Boston massacre as he sought to be elected to the Massachusetts legislature.  (Fortunately, both for the nation and posterity, Adams was successful as both a defense attorney and as a political candidate that year.)  My guess, however, is that I’m not alone in this tendency to be fascinated and intrigued by people, events and institutions.

As I’ve observed in these pages, there have existed three worldwide institutions over the centuries.  The first is the Roman Catholic papacy.  The British monarchy is the second and, since the era of William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt, the Presidency of the United States is the third.  In order to achieve the papacy, one must be steeped in Roman Catholic history and doctrine.  Those first in line for the British monarchy are, from almost the day they’re born, extensively educated to meet their royal responsibilities.  Under our constitution there are no specific qualifications for election or appointment except age, citizenship and, by implication, good behavior.  This is also true of the judiciary.  In other words, if you’re 35 years old and a citizen who “…comes under the tongue of good report,” as Kentucky Senator A.B. (Happy) Chandler used to put it, you may, without any other qualification, be elected President of the United States of America.  Therein, as I see it, lies a formidable weakness in our socio/political system!

I see this lack of expectation or qualification as part of the reason for the increasing ambiguity when it comes to affection for and respect for the presidency.  Although no president, be he named Washington, Lincoln or Roosevelt, has escaped severe criticism and even reprimand, I remember a time when few serious minded people regarded the office of the president with anything less than awe.

For the last 50 years, presidential candidates and presidential incumbents alike have suffered a level of continuous public abuse that is more intense than in any other era of our history.

Today, we live under an expectation of political hatred.  President Trump insisted in his recent inaugural address that all presidents up until his newly minted incumbency were primarily self-serving.  And why shouldn’t he say that?  After all, politics has finally become like sports; winning isn’t only necessary, it’s everything.

Thus the American voter is encouraged to demonize rather than minimize socio/political differences.  No longer are differences a matter of strategy or emphasis.  Differences are matters of morality verses immorality.  Thus, by the time one side of a moral debate is elected over the other side of the moral debate, the office of the presidency is forever tarnished.

A very, very close friend of mine, I’ll call him Mr. Leopold (that’s not his name!), recently told me that he’s actually lost all respect for the office of President of the United States.  After all, he hasn’t cared much for any candidate recently and he finds our incumbent president the worst of them all. (By the way, this gentleman is no liberal by any means! Furthermore, he’s one of the two smartest men I’ve ever met.  He has a towering intellect and is very judicious in his conclusions.)  What I think my friend Leopold may be missing is that all of the great offices of the world, the papacy, the British monarchy and the American presidency, have had their moments of shabbiness and shame as well as glory and greatness.

Forty-six years ago, President Richard Nixon turned LBJ’s common holidays act from being known as George Washington’s birthday to that of Presidents’ Day to honor all presidents of the United States.  Since the Nixon presidency, which ended in President Nixon’s resignation in disgrace, it seems that both major political parties have worked strenuously to minimize the efforts and morals of each other’s leadership to the extent that by the time their own candidate takes office his range of opportunities for compromise and creativity, let alone his freedom to even associate with the political “loyal opposition,” has become as close to a “Cardinal sin” as can exist in secular America.

Today begins the second month of President Donald Trump’s term in office.  As I see it, so far the Trump experiment has been pretty close to a disaster.  There is, however, a way to turn President Trump’s presidency almost 180 degrees around.

Should President Trump champion a major liberal cause and make it stick, he’ll energize the “body politic” like no chief executive has since the president who defied “…fear itself.”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,

EDWIN COONEY

No comments: