Monday, July 16, 2018

I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!

By Edwin Cooney

Last Monday, July 9th, 2018, the day many of you got my previous column, was a “red-letter day!” True, I can’t, for physical reasons, enjoy the vividness of red letters the way most people can, but as I understand it, a red-letter day is full of bright and sheer gaiety.

The cause of this gaiety was a response to last week’s column from my personal representative in a certain Great Lakes community. Nothing pleases a budding columnist more than a deliciously flavored response.

My friend is exceedingly bright. However, he’s often overwhelmed by what makes him mad. Come to think of it, he tends to be a liberal reactionary. That is, he verbally strikes out at what annoys or angers him rather than seeking to master its defiant challenges.

On the other hand, I pummel challenges to death by trying to strip them of their historical, emotional and, if I can, even their spiritual legitimacy. The reason I do this is my belief in the significance and even legitimacy of two vital conditions, cause (the reasons that make things happen) and effect (the results of any reaction). This all comes from Isaac Newton’s third law that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

By asserting the connection and significance of General Edward Braddock’s death to the greatness of George Washington and the legitimacy of national greatness (which I conceded was difficult to define), I apparently rubbed raw his sense of frustration over some current events. Hence, this is what he wrote me:

“I was somewhat distracted as I read this, by the fact that I was watching some paint drying on the wall of my neighbor's house!

“Anyone with any sense knows that what Trump means when he speaks of America's greatness is its whiteness!

“This column is, at least for me, an exercise in pedanticism, if such a word exists.

“This is some heady dude trying to speak loftily about greatness which is a synonym for luckiness and/or silliness!

“Washington was lucky that Edward Braddock died. Lou Gehrig was lucky that Wally Pipp couldn't play; and he was lucky he was strong like a bull, until ALS came along. Dizzy Gillespie was lucky he could play the trumpet really well, and that the right people heard him at the right time! No one is great, nor is anyone minimal. It's all luck, it's all random, it's the luck of the draw.”

My friend really and truly is deeper than that; he’s merely and legitimately frustrated, as I am, too. The problem as I see it is that he probably simply loses interest in what concerns or bothers his strong sense of equality or equity. In the tradition of 20th Century enlightened liberalism, he is outraged by injustice -- especially institutional injustice such as racial prejudice and the death penalty along with the license to kill which too many people and politicians are willing to hand out to the National Rifle Association.

My friend’s response to last week’s column thus gives me a stage from which to encourage him and others to try and examine the existence and significance of cause and effect.

While mastering the significance of cause and effect in every situation won’t necessarily bring about a balmy satisfaction as to why something happened and what the effect was, it will, I think, give one a sense of orientation with respect to a controversial issue. Orientation often brings about perspective and perspective amounts to understanding and even mastery of an issue or circumstance.

As for my “pedanticism” as he puts it, being called pedantic is a risk anyone takes who seeks to enlighten or inform. Sometimes we teachers, preachers, and budding columnists are really and truly guilty of the charge.

I’d try and wax eloquent on the topic of luck, but you need a break after all this!

Since this is my fourteenth year writing these columns I guess I shouldn’t refer to myself as a “budding” columnist, but if I do stop so identifying myself, I’ll have to come to grips with the possibility that I’ve actually grown up!

What a terrible thing to have to both grasp and acknowledge!

Oh, one more thing: as they often used to say at the close of television programs: please keep those cards and letters coming!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: