Monday, March 30, 2020

DEAR GOD!

By Edwin Cooney

As you know, I'm among the most common of all mortals with limited talents and only a slightly above average capacity for perspective — thus this letter, addressed to our God.

For the last two weeks almost the entire world, especially the American people, has been locked down in fear for their lives.

I was born to and raised by students of the Apostles’ Creed. I recited that creed, along with the Lord's Prayer, almost every night of my childhood. Like many Christians, I prayed daily that You would continuously watch out for my personal safety and well-being, as well as for that of my family, friends, and of course for my country. Generally, my prayers have been answered, thereby countering whatever foolish mistakes in which I’ve indulged. Seventy-four years of experience have taught me both the magnitude of Your creativity as well as Your capacity for love and forgiveness, but it has also taught me something of Your self-imposed limited involvement in our affairs. I believe that You don't, however often we ask You to, intervene in our lives to save or punish us. Of course, whatever I believe or don't believe is strictly between You and me, as it is strictly between You and everyone else. Therein, I'm convinced, lives that special relationship between You, Jesus, the Holy Ghost and we mortals.

The most magnificent gift You gave us is our capacity to reason and to create which no other beings possess except for humanity. Other beings can procreate, hunt, build homes, raise, teach and protect their young, but we humans have been given by You the capacity to learn and master physical, medical, mental, technical, and metaphysical phenomena which affect the rudiments of our very existence.

We Americans constitute what has become a multicultural society since our ancestors come from all parts of the world and, although grudgingly at times, invariably are accepted as part of the decision-making process, not only by law but by expectation.

Since about the 16th of March, ironically Founding Father James Madison's 249th birthday, American life has been less than free. Hopefully this will last for only a short period of time. That restriction which has been brought upon, not by “big government,” but by a tiny but mighty protein molecule, according to Dr. Irene Ken (whose daughter is an assistant professor in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore). One can only see this molecule through a powerful microscope. That molecule isn't a living virus but is rather a protein molecule RNA covered by a lipid (fat), which when absorbed by the cells of the ocular nasal or buccal mucosa changes the molecule's genetic code which changes them into a virus that can't be killed, but decays on its own. This molecule currently has more power than a 500 foot slugger from either side of home plate; more than many persuasive and influential preachers and politicians whether their surnames be Reed, Falwell, Graham, Pence or Trump.

(Note: The above information about this molecule comes from an article sent to me by my local chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, the headquarters of which is in Baltimore, Maryland.)

Therefore, for almost the first time in all of history, since at least Pearl Harbor, Americans are profoundly frightened.

Thus, we're faced with those inevitable questions: Where can we go from here and how do we get there?

Although the specific answers to those questions are way, way beyond this observer and wonderer, there nevertheless exists a key!

That key lies in those gifts we all know that by our very existence we possess through You. They include:

The wisdom of patience; the curiosity for knowledge; the existence of genius in some very special people; and finally, the knowledge documented in history. You help us remember and give us the strength to utilize the above gifts so that we might renew our appreciation of the finest gifts You have given us! I'm not much of a praying person, but I do believe that using the tools I've identified here is a form of prayer.

I write this letter to You, God, out of both despair and hope. I've tried to avoid preaching through the medium of this message.

Still, I believe that Your confidence in acknowledgment and love for us remains one of the reasons we've reached as high an expectation of ourselves as we currently possess.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt spent the evening before his April 12th, 1945 death composing these words for a speech he would have given on April 25th, 1945, at the San Francisco conference creating the United Nations. I believe they're especially prophetic for this time of national crisis. Wrote FDR: “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today!”

In that spirit, I pray for Your continuing blessings and love for the future and sake of us all!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: