Monday, April 25, 2022

HE OR SHE WHO DENIES ENDS UP BY TELLING LIES — IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

By Edwin Cooney


I probably take too much pride in bragging about my positive and forward-looking nature. I'll probably continue to insist, despite what I'm about to relate to you, that optimism is one of the "better angels” of my nature.


My visit to Northern California to see my two lads, their ladies, my three granddaughters and one great grandson was supposed to go from Wednesday, April 13th through Tuesday, April 19th. While there, I also hoped to have meals and "some good cheer" with several friends. Much to my chagrin, Covid violated my denial system, thereby causing me to put the health of some mighty precious people at risk.


Between Wednesday and Saturday, I began to feel sluggish and a tad achy. The feeling was the most intense on Saturday and I should have asked my son to test me for Covid that day, but I didn't so he didn't. All the family came for Easter dinner and we all had a good time. There were hugs, much nearness, and numerous photographs taken all day. Sunday night, feeling less than energetic, I asked to be tested for Covid after all had left and was twice obliged. The results were positive and I had to face the very unpleasant reality that I had carelessly exposed my most precious people to Covid-19. Naughty! Selfish! Self-indulgent dad, granddad, great granddad, and friend! 


Of course, I had fully exercised my freedom to decide for myself whether or not I was sick, but in so doing, I endangered the health and safety of others. I had no constitutional or other moral right to endanger anyone else’s well-being!


My symptoms were minor. I had no shortness of breath, I coughed little if at all, and I certainly did not need to be hospitalized. Fortunately, even now, a week later, I haven’t heard that any friend or family member has also come down with Covid.


It's possible and even likely that had I been tested the day of my departure, I would not have tested positive for the disease, but I'm certain that had I been tested on Easter Eve, I would have.


The only upside for me is that I got to spend two additional days with my lads and with my younger son's very sweet lady Alondra who, as of this week, is a reader of these weekly musings!


My sad and sorry behavior requires me to ask this inevitable question once again:


How often, when we take into account our demand for individual freedom, do we concern ourselves sufficiently with the freedom and comfort of others?


This last week I badly failed as a good citizen and as a human being! What I wanted to be real wasn't at all real! My intentions might have been both genuine and good, but both you and I know that the road to disaster is paved with good intentions!


RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,

EDWIN COONEY

No comments: