Monday, July 25, 2022

A NEW POLITICAL HERO THUS A NEW POSSIBLE POLITICAL PARADIGM

By Edwin Cooney

A hero is someone who performs or undertakes to act when it is dangerous to one's well-being while preserving the well-being or safety of others.

Our national and individual histories are bedecked with instances in which both friends and acquaintances have been heroes!

Among my national heroes are: the Marines of Iwo Jima, Dr. Jonas Salk, the seven Mercury astronauts, Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, Ford, Carter, and Obama. My personal heroes are named Edith, Rhoda, Eric, Ryan, Olivia, Bailey Jane, Britney, and, of course, Marsha Cooney. There are still other personal heroes but these are at the very top of my list. All of them have been vital to preserving my social, emotional, spiritual, and personal well-being!

All of our heroes invariably re-enforce our values and expectations regarding everything that's important to us.

Like most conscientious voters, regardless of political ideology, the well-being of my country is of continuous importance to me. Like most of my fellow citizens, I'd prefer to have an administration in Washington that shares my personal political agenda. However, living in a free society as I do, I know that from time to time, my political opponents will prevail.

Accordingly, during the administrations of President Reagan, Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, and initially during the Trump presidency, I looked for aspects of the opposition's person or administration that I could approve.

Last Thursday night after the latest public session of the January 6th Committee, I've had to conclude that there's absolutely nothing to admire about the person or presidency of Donald Trump! In the wake of that conclusion, I've had to acknowledge the existence of a new political hero.

Elizabeth Cheney in almost every aspect of her political being is an anathema to me. However, her willingness to draw the distinction between personal and national well-being and thus risk the enmity of her constituency and, subsequently, her seat in Congress, means that Elizabeth Cheney recognizes the distinction between governing and politicking. Second, she understands that the loss of office is ultimately a matter of national priority rather than a matter of personal preference. Election to public office is ultimately not about a candidate but the quality of what a candidate has to offer.

Elizabeth (Liz) Cheney is probably the greatest political hero since Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon back in 1974.  I didn't see President Ford's courage back then, I saw only what I regarded as his political cronyism, but I unconsciously drew some comfort from Jerry Ford's cronyism as it justified my anger with my former hero Richard Nixon. Although I'm not in the least sorry for my support of Jimmy Carter, my political and prejudicial cynicism stultified my capacity for quality judgment of an historical event!    

So, here it is! Were I living in Wyoming, a vote for Elizabeth Cheney on Tuesday, August 16th, 2022 would be one hell of a temptation. The truth is, however, that come the election in November, even if she unexpectedly prevailed this August, I'd probably vote for her Democratic opponent.

Remember a few lines ago I asserted election to public office is ultimately not about a candidate but about the quality of what a candidate has to offer. Thus, although I could never vote for Ms. Cheney, I still regard her as a hero. After all, I didn't vote for Jerry in 1976 and he was as significant a hero as Elizabeth Cheney.

Oh! Here's an irony for you! Do you recall who President Ford's Chief of Staff was back in 1976? His name was Richard Bruce Cheney.

You may reasonably conclude that throughout this musing I've demonstrated my incapacity to follow a new paradigm as has Elizabeth Cheney. Ah, but a paradigm isn't a belief; a paradigm is an approach or a way.

Next week, let's compare the Cheney paradigm and the Trump paradigm!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,

EDWIN COONEY 


No comments: