Monday, December 12, 2022

DOES WHAT WE THINK DEPEND ON HOW WE THINK?

By Edwin Cooney


Last week, I sought to tackle the cause and effect on our national mood by asking when our personal sins were each other’s business. I went on to assert that the culture war which has been going on particularly since the 1960s has moved from political differences into moral differences. From there, rather than offer anything in the way of a solution to our current dilemma, I offered a list of healthy ways to look and even resolve a set of twelve outlooks or attitudes.


My friend, whom I'll call “Pennsylvania Ben,” took strenuous objection to some of my suggestions and even more to the legitimacy of  my way of thinking.


Pennsylvania Ben insists that my set of suggestions amount to "intellectual gook." He goes on to assert that his “linear" way of thinking is realistic. Then he proceeds to generously comment on some of my points. I'll only mention a few to clarify my meaning.


I made the point that what tomorrow may or may not be is not for me to judge. He responds "Congratulations, that was profound! It's like pointing out that how standing in the rain can result in someone getting wet." I've been told that the reason behind the effort to limit minority voting rights has a lot to do with conservatives who worry that today's minorities will inevitably become the majority, thus endangering the traditional dominance of white Anglo-Saxon Americans, causing them to become minority citizens. Additionally, don't most aging adults worry that their offspring will be less conscientious and less moral than their own generation?


Another point: some people firmly believe that free enterprise ought never to be subject to regulation. They also believe that the acquisition of guns ought never be regulated no matter the type of gun, to say nothing about the use of the gun.


Pennsylvania Ben also expressed his intolerance of the value of religion. He believes the religious community is wrong. Religion, he insists, is illogical and dangerous.


Pennsylvania Ben prides himself on his linear or logical thinking. He appears to believe that we creative and artistic types automatically are too dogmatic rather than logical. Yet, I know of several linear thinkers who are both dogmatic and artistic. Dogmatism requires a set of rules that governs logic. Fundamentalist religious types base their dogmatism on their religious teachings. I have a friend I call “Kentucky Brian” who believes as Pennsylvania Ben does that one ought to ask for forgiveness rather than for permission. Kentucky Brian's logic depends on his religious faith. Both Pennsylvania Ben and I believe that capital punishment is fundamentally wrong. My friend Kentucky Brian believes that capital punishment is right and moral out of his faith. Kentucky Brian and I share the Christian faith even as we disagree as to the morality of capital punishment. As I see things, both the logical and the right brain intellectual types have something in common. Neither type fully grasps what it takes to create and govern a more perfect humanity! 


As to Pennsylvania Ben's request that I "please get my head out of both my behind and out of the clouds,” I think I'll leave my head right where it is as I've never met someone who possesses the physical dexterity to assume that wondrous position!


As to the original question, does what we think depend on how we think, I suggest that both how and what we think largely depends on our personal experiences!


RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,

EDWIN COONEY

No comments: