Monday, May 13, 2024

WHAT SAY YOU, PLEASE?

By Edwin Cooney


I've been going to stores,, bus stations and bus stops, doctors appointments, barber shops, and so on practically all of my 78 plus years. However, last Wednesday, May 8th, I ran into an unexpected buzzsaw.


My 9 a.m. doctor appointment last Wednesday got bumpy the instant I stepped into the interoffice at my doctor’s office. As usual, I was greeted by an aide who asked me to walk over to the scale to get weighed prior to the upcoming exam. I suggested that I would take her arm for guidance and she immediately said I couldn't do that because she doesn't like to be touched. Normally, when a lady or anyone else doesn't want to be touched, that both begins and ends the legitimate sense of personal space. To me, however, touching was an essential part of having a "sighted guide" which has been a part of my travel experience since my teens. Hence, my reaction was defensive as to my need to navigate smoothly through a site which I didn't know well.


“Sighted guide” requires the guide to allow the sight-impaired person to lightly take hold of the guide's arm just above the elbow. As the guide steps along, one can easily sense where the guide is walking and stepping. That enables the guided person to easily detect where the other person is going. If one touches the lower arm or the hand, the feedback of the above elbow contact is lessened by indirection. In my shock, I asserted that I've never been treated so badly by a “professional person” in all of my nearly 79 years of travel. This lady more or less pushed me toward the scale. When I get weighed I usually ask the assistant to hold my jacket containing my change and/or other items so they won't affect the result. This lady would have no part of doing that. So, I proceeded to drop my jacket and cane on the floor beside the scale. Then a gentleman, came alongside and introduced himself as a nurse. He helped me gather my cane and jacket, but when I sought his assistance into the doctor's office he also insisted that he didn't want to be touched either! As you might imagine, I was frustrated all over again. Thus my attitude was petulant toward him as he put forth the medical questions that are common prior to a physical  examination.


My interview and examination with the doctor went as usual, but I let her know that if this kind of reception continues, I may be looking for another doctor.


Hence, I ask you: is it understandable that I was frustrated? Should those of us with disabilities be more prepared to alter our expectations when dealing with a stranger or should we be more “sensitive” to the anxieties of a public that's invariably at sea as to how to relate to us? These two employees expected not to be in any way harassed or made uncomfortable during their hours of employment. Might this be a reasonable labor issue?


Now that I've been dipped into this chilly sea of uncertainty without swimming lessons, I'll re-think and adjust.


However, re-thinking and adjusting might well be easier with your thoughts.


Whether I deserve a scolding or a reassuring hug is up to you, but I'll be ready for either or both!


RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,


EDWIN COONEY 

No comments: