Monday, September 8, 2014

“A HEAVY VACATION SCHEDULE” -- WOW, WHAT A CONCEPT!


By Edwin Cooney

For the better part of the past four weeks, I’ve been on vacation.  From Wednesday, August 6th, through Wednesday, August 27th, I was in Northern California visiting my two lads and some of the most wonderful friends I’ve ever known.

At one point during my California holiday, I informed those of you who get these weekly musings that due to a “heavy vacation schedule” I was suspending the issuance of these columns until my return.  A number of you found the idea of a “heavy vacation schedule” to be quite amusing and perhaps a bit hard to swallow.

Still, I insist that a heavy vacation schedule is exactly what I was up against.  After all, my wife and I were on vacation, but no one else we were visiting was also on holiday (as our British/American hosts Bean and Chris might put it!) Several times we had to alter our pleasure-laden schedule to accommodate our hosts' day-to-day obligations.

A vacation, I’ve discovered, is invariably a state of mind.  I once knew a gentleman who insisted that he was always glad when his vacations were over so he could go back to work to rest up.  Until just recently I’d concluded that observation was merely indicative of his sense of ironic humor, but now I’m not so sure.

A vacation, like most things, is of course what one makes of it.  If one is easily put off by distractions from normal day-to-day activities, a vacation may actually be counterproductive.  On the other hand, vacationing for millions of entrepreneurs worldwide constitutes a very productive living.

Although profit-making vacation spots existed in the nineteenth century, the vacation industry didn’t really take off until the mid-twentieth century.  Howard Johnson (who added motor lodges to his already profitable restaurant business), Marion Isbell who created the Ramada Inn chain, and Kemmons Wilson of Holiday Inn fame made good use of President Eisenhower’s super highway expansion and the average person's desire for annual vacations thus making handsome fortunes for themselves and their posterity.

According to the late author David Halberstam who wrote a book on the 1950s, Charles Kemmons Wilson (who was known by his middle name) was a homebuilder from Memphis, Tennessee. He got the idea for the construction of his Holiday Inns during a 1951 summer vacation trip with his wife and two children to Washington, D.C., thus demonstrating that vacations can mean both relaxation and good fortune.
  
For me, the past four weeks have been a time of joy and sadness, adventure and remembrance.  Between August 1979 and March 2013 I lived in Alameda, California.  Here my first wife and I raised our two boys.  Our second son was born in Oakland and knows no Eastern home.  There I gained the friendship of a wonderful group of men and women with whom I worked, played, debated, laughed, cried and occasionally even worshiped.  To visit them once again was to remember being a part of that and wishing that I still could be.  To visit Northern California once again was an opportunity to enjoy my new and lovely wife’s delight in having easy access to restaurants and tourist attractions via public transportation.  To visit Alameda, California once again was an opportunity to wallow in the love and generosity of people named Shadi, Justine, Sam, Bean, Chris, Kat, Don, Peter, Tony, Patricia, Gina, Ed, two Steves, several Chris’s of both genders, Chuck, Dan, Tim, RC, two Brians, two Davids, Mary, Barbara, Richard, Susi, Jim, Sero, Jack, Eric, Bailey Jane (my little granddaughter), Celia, Ryan, Tiffany and yes – even more.  The joy was to be among them once again.  The sadness lay in my longing to be with them always and forever.

Shortly after the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy, Adlai Stevenson observed that to listen to a record album of Jack Kennedy’s wit was to bring tears and laughter as close together as they could ever be.  So it was during my heavily scheduled recent Northern California vacation.  That we’ll do it all over again next year brings a smile to my lips even as it brings a simultaneous lump to my throat!

I’m especially encouraged to return to California next year in the wake of an observation made by a wonderful gentleman here in Syracuse who said to me only yesterday:

“I just want you to know Ed, that your best essays were those not written while you were experiencing that “heavy California vacation schedule!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY




No comments: