Monday, September 17, 2012

OUR BELIEFS -- ARE THEY MADE UP OF WHAT WE FEAR OR WHAT WE HOPE?


By Edwin Cooney

A few weeks ago, Gary, a very thoughtful and insightful reader of these musings, responded to a recent column I called “The Beckoning Gateway".  In that column, I compared and contrasted, as best I could, the political beliefs held by the types of voters who are likely to support the two major party presidential candidates this fall.

In his response to the column, Gary, who is both a writer and an editor, made three gripping observations:

Wonderful as it is, there is such a wealth of information out there on the internet that there exists the danger that opinion too often is raised to the level of fact;
people are increasingly more interested in what they believe than in what the unvarnished facts can teach them; and, finally,
there is that vital question of whether we are ultimately driven by what we fear or by what we hope.

As I see it, there are three main sources that direct our lives.

First, there is the degree to which we’re directed or not directed by our faith or lack thereof in God or in a sense of spirituality.  Second, there exists the physical and social sciences through which we gather, analyze, and evaluate knowledge.  Third, there is the matter of how human experiences ultimately affect us.

So the question is twofold.  What kind of knowledge do we feed into our belief system?  Are our beliefs driven by what we fear or by what we hope?  For most of us the answer to that question is probably a combination of both.  However, my guess is that since knowledge is seemingly so endless, it is what we believe that ultimately governs who we are and what we do.

The late news commentator Paul Harvey used to assert that what we believe in governs our character.

“I believe in my God, in my country and in myself and in that order,” Mr. Harvey once said.

I was 18 years old when I had the opportunity to meet him and hear him say that in person and it sounded pretty good to me.  Back then I was desperately in search of a sense of belonging and that man’s focus and certainty inspired a badly needed sense of identity and confidence on my part.

Over the years, however, a lifetime of observations and experiences have taught me that Mr. Harvey’s observation, although eloquently expressed, was a little parochial if not dogmatic.

As I grow older, my search for identity with God is more personal than institutional.  Scripture tells us that God created humanity and the whole world.  Human beings, however, created the nations of the world as they understood God’s will and how God’s will could best serve them.  Thus, as I see it, we in America could better serve God’s will and thus better serve ourselves to the degree that we come to the realization that what we offer others is equally important as what we do for ourselves.

Speaking strictly for myself then, I am mostly a believer.  What I learn through information gathering and analysis I try and feed into my personhood. 

As I’ve often stated in these weekly writings, as much as I can, I avoid fear.  Fear is the father of self-destructive anger.  That’s the real power in FDR’s assertion in his 1933 Inaugural that:

“The only thing we have to fear is, fear itself—-nameless, unreasoning unjustified terror that paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”

Sense of fear may be necessary to protect myself and those I love, but I can’t grow when I’m afraid. 

Back then to Gary’s third question: are you driven more by what you fear or what you hope?  As you can guess, I vote for hope!  (Remember Jesse Jackson’s “Keep Hope Alive?” slogan?)  Some of you may protest that knowledge is more tangible than either fear or hope, but I contend that whether one is fearful or hopeful directly affects one’s search for knowledge.  If one only gives credit to the kind of knowledge that can be measured, then I believe that person at some basic level is very, very lonely.

What I hope for most in life is beyond measure.  Yet both the rich and the poor, the educated as well as the uneducated seek it.  It doesn’t weigh anything; it doesn’t have a taste or smell.  It gives off no sound sense of vibration or movement.  Kings and queens, politicians, sports and entertainment stars crave it as much as money.  It can be neither bought nor sold.  No human being on earth can thrive without it.  It cannot feed the body but its absence starves the soul.  We know it as love.

One more thing: I can’t prove it to you, but you can prove it to yourself if you choose -- love is a gift from you-know-who!

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
EDWIN COONEY

No comments: